Shareable Ink Anesthesia Record
The Natural Approach to Electronic Anesthesia Records
Harnessing the Power of Electronic Data with the Ease of Pen and Paper
If your anesthesia department is like most, anesthesia records are captured on traditional paper forms. While this is widely considered to be the fastest and most unobtrusive mode of documentation, it has many limitations in terms of making the record accessible to other stakeholders in the patient’s care and supporting the move to electronic health records underway in many hospitals.
Although automated anesthesia recordkeeping systems (AIMS) have been on the market for two decades, adoption is still less than 10%. Reasons for this include: high cost, length of time and resources required to implement and support, and additional time required for documentation.
As a result, most hospitals and anesthesia group practices have been running their operations without the objective data to effectively pinpoint how to improve quality and processes.
Shareable Ink Anesthesia Record combines the speed and ease of use of pen and paper with the benefits of electronic data.
Although an image is created as a by-product of the data capture process and delivered to back-end document management systems – without scanning – the real value lies in the system’s ability to convert handwritten notes and checked boxes to structured, discrete data. This allows for data to be routed directly into the hospital information system or EHR, as well as into the physician billing system, as if keyed in directly. Business rules built into the system also provide automated, immediate feedback to the provider for missing or erroneous documentation.
The result: immediate access to the anesthesia record by any stakeholder in the patient’s care with simultaneous capture of key quality and billing metrics – all without disrupting the provider’s normal workflow.
- All anesthesia documentation can be automated: pre-operative assessments, intraoperative record, post-operative assessment, quality reports, consent forms, labor & delivery record, medication reconciliation form.
- Portability allows Shareable Ink Anesthesia Record to easily be used in any anesthetizing location.
- Alerts for documentation errors are displayed to the provider upon completion of the form – on screen, via email, text message or page.
- Workflow management is embedded, routing pertinent information in real-time to other key stakeholders in the anesthesia record, such as pharmacy, quality management, materials management and billing.
- Inbound and outbound integration with existing hospital IT systems.
- When combined with Shareable Ink Analytics, detailed information related to quality, efficiency and compliance is instantly accessible.